Articles on this Page
- 02/03/13--23:00: _A Little Lesson for...
- 02/03/13--23:01: _Fresh and Colourful...
- 02/06/13--23:54: _Two Very Different ...
- 02/11/13--22:50: _Good Things Take Ti...
- 02/19/13--00:09: _Loving Alice + Oliv...
- 03/12/13--18:08: _I'm Taking A Break....
- 03/25/13--20:04: _Back on Monday April 1
- 03/31/13--13:37: _Texitura Advanced P...
- 04/02/13--22:27: _Get Creative With B...
- 04/07/13--16:18: _Exquisite Stationer...
- 04/09/13--16:22: _Super-cute Dress-Up...
- 04/28/13--19:14: _Two Talented Ladies...
- 05/19/13--16:57: _You'll Love This Bo...
- 08/13/13--01:58: _So sorry! Kitty as ...
- 11/14/13--13:53: _The Most Interestin...
- 11/22/13--14:16: _Tove Johansson - Th...
- 11/29/13--16:36: _Count Down to Chris...
- 12/04/13--14:15: _Christmas Screen Pr...
- 12/05/13--12:03: _'A Book is a Book' ...
- 12/13/13--13:06: _Striking Colour Pal...
- 12/19/13--16:57: _Hannah's Night by K...
- 12/23/13--01:26: _100 People by Masay...
- 01/30/14--13:00: _Oilily Spring Summe...
- 02/28/14--20:01: _Pom and Pim by Lena...
- 03/01/14--23:14: _Join me at Bren Mic...
- 02/06/13--23:54: Two Very Different Styles, One Massive Impact! Martinich & Carran
- 02/11/13--22:50: Good Things Take Time! Breathtaking Valentino Spring 2013 Couture
- 02/19/13--00:09: Loving Alice + Olivia Fall 2013
- 03/12/13--18:08: I'm Taking A Break. I'll Be Back Soon (ish!)
- 03/25/13--20:04: Back on Monday April 1
- 04/02/13--22:27: Get Creative With Barcodes! Artist Steve Simpson Shows Us How
- 04/07/13--16:18: Exquisite Stationery by Amy Butler
- 04/09/13--16:22: Super-cute Dress-Up-Dolls by Adolie Day
- 04/28/13--19:14: Two Talented Ladies: Laura Escalante Mora and Trina Esquivelzeta
- 05/19/13--16:57: You'll Love This Book! BANG by Leo Timmers
- 08/13/13--01:58: So sorry! Kitty as a Picture is on hold
- 11/14/13--13:53: The Most Interesting Boring Book Ever!
- 11/22/13--14:16: Tove Johansson - The Kalas Collection
- 11/29/13--16:36: Count Down to Christmas with Binny Talib
- 12/04/13--14:15: Christmas Screen Prints by Sanna Annukka
- 12/05/13--12:03: 'A Book is a Book' by Jenny Bornholdt and Sarah Wilkins
- 12/13/13--13:06: Striking Colour Palettes from Rifle Paper Co
- 12/19/13--16:57: Hannah's Night by Komako Sakai
- 12/23/13--01:26: 100 People by Masayuki Sebe
- 01/30/14--13:00: Oilily Spring Summer 2014 - The Dutch Orient Collection
- 02/28/14--20:01: Pom and Pim by Lena and Olof Landstrom
- 03/01/14--23:14: Join me at Bren Michelle Blog
Published by Gecko Press (NZ) 1 February 2012
Ages 4+, 36 pages
ISBN: 978-1-877579-27-1 (hardback)
ISBN: 978-1-877579-28-8 (paperback)
Available at Noeuf.
If you are interested in purchasing something from the range or viewing more of the collection, you'll find a great selection at Noeuf. Or you may like to visit the Bobo Choses website and shop.
In a fascinating review by Tim Blanks, it is said that it took 850 hours to embroider an organza jacket and skirt, and that is only one example of the incredible artisanal effort that has gone into this collection. It does not surprise me; the intricacy and beauty of the garments is astounding.
If you regularly visit Kitty as a Picture or my other blog Go Benny Go, you will have noticed that I have not been posting much in the last few weeks. There are many reasons why: I have had client work to do, I have been working my way through module three of The Art and Business of Surface Pattern Design, I have young children to care for, and I have also been very unwell. Being ill has made me realise that I need to spend more time with my family and not let this precious time with my little ones and my wonderful partner slip by. I want to savour every precious moment.
P.S Love the fabulousOrla Kiely Spring Summer 2013 collection!
Surface pattern designer Veronica Galbraith is one of the artists featured in the most recent edition, and she has kindly allowed me to share these images with you. Veronica's designs are featured under three key print trends - the first: Bloom Bloom (big florals in vibrant colours.)
The second: UFO-ture (alien nature environments.)
"Barcodes grace almost every product we sell. Considering how much package real estate they command, why shouldn't they be more fun?" he says.Too right! Steve's examples of illustrated bar codes certainly add character and sophistication to the overall product packaging design:
Originally from Manchester, England but now firmly based in Ireland, Steve Simpson is a freelance illustrative designer working in the areas of packaging design, illustration and art for children’s books.
Trina Esquivelzeta (Surface Hug)
These ladies are just two of the wonderful, supportive and talented friends I made during the course. The network of girls that I have linked with and shared work and resources with was one of the many highlights of the online course, and probably the most surprising. It is the obvious place for me to start in my search for inspiration this week. Thank you girls!
Be sure to check out more of Laura's beautiful work at her Behance site, and you'll find more of Trina's stunning florals over at the Surface Hug blog.
Today I am delighted to bring you a very special find from Gecko Press:
At the climax of the book the pages fold out so that the entire scene and happy conclusion can be appreciated with maximum impact. It is quite simply the most beautiful and delightful book I have seen this year. Well worth the extra investment for hard back, this stunning picture book makes a superb gift for pre-schoolers; you'll find it over at Gecko Press.
The Boring Book opens with a book (an adorable lift-the-flap insert) that is said to be so boring it sends everyone who attempts to read it to sleep. (Adults, do take the time to read the text in the lift-the-flap book - it's hilarious and very clever.)
This book is sooooo boring that even the words themselves are fed up. They are tired of standing around in rows, and instead begin to play and be creative. Then one day they skip right out of the book to freedom and begin to get up to a little mischief.
At first there is much fun and excitement, but then things start to go awry. The words need to be reined in; there is just too much confusion. So what happens to the words? Can they still have fun? Inspire? Play?
The Boring Book concludes in the most surprising and delightful way, and the book appeals to me on so many levels. It is a unique story idea with a valuable message for children about the joys of creative word play. As a book-lover, occasional creative writer, and parent I am super-excited to have discovered this book and what it has to offer my kids.
The artwork is lively and expressive, well suited to the story. And, the illustrations incorporate pattern - my passion. Add some lift-the-flap elements and you have my idea of the perfect children's book. The Boring Book is cute, quirky, and totally lovable. Thank you Vasanti Unka and Penguin Group (NZ), I'm smitten and so is my daughter!
The Boring Book by Vasanti Unka
Published by Penguin Group (NZ)
About the author
Vasanti Unka is a designer and illustrator based in Auckland. She is the illustrator of The Bean's Story, which was a 2008 Storylines notable book, and Hill & Hole by Kyle Mewburn. Hill & Hole was shortlisted for the 2011 New Zealand Post Book Awards for Children and Young Adults. It won the LIANZA Russell Clarke award the same year and was also the first children's book to win the Gerard Reid Award for Best Book at the PANZ Book Design Awards.
I am so excited to be able to share this with my kids; how wonderful that the magic of Christmas can start already. Tomorrow December is here, and in my family we will be venturing out to find a beautiful Christmas tree for our lounge room. The lights, the decorations, the music, the joy on those little faces...oh yay! Let the countdown begin!
Purchase the Binny Talib Advent Calendar at iTunes or at Google Play. Keep up to date with Binny's news over at her blog and website.
Both prints are limited editions of only forty, and are available to purchase online now at her website.
A Book is a Book celebrates books and reading. It is a treasure for people like me who cherish the whole experience of books - the story, the illustrations, the format, the feel, the typography, and the layout of a carefully considered book. 'Carefully considered' is exactly what A Book is a Book is. Like all books from Gecko Press, you can practically feel the love that has gone into the creation - from the writer to the artist to the publishing choices. A Book is a Book shines in all areas. It is a sweet contemplation by poet Jenny Bornholdt about books and the delight they can bring. The illustrations by Sarah Wilkins are a perfect fit in a delicate but vibrant, painterly style. The small hardback format and cream pages give it a stylish and subtly vintage feel. The quality construction of the book itself and the surprising details (a different image underneath the dust-cover, and a beautiful bookmark that came with my copy) are noticed and appreciated by book-lovers like me. The more I look at this book, the more I love it. There is so much talent in this lovely little county of mine!
Written by Jenny Bornholdt
Illustrated by Sarah Wilkins
Gecko Press and Whitireia Publishing
Published 1 November 2013
180 x 120mm, 40 pages, Ages 4+
About the AuthorJenny Bornholdt is an acclaimed poet. In 2005-06 she was the NZ Poet Laureate, and received the 2003 Arts Foundation of New Zealand Laureate Award. Jenny lives in Wellington, New Zealand.
About the IllustratorSarah Wilkins has worked as an illustrator in Australia, New Zealand and France. She won the LIANZA Russell Clark Award for Illustration in 2003. Sarah currently lives in Wellington, New Zealand.
Published by Gecko Press, 2 August 2013
ISBN: 978-1-877579-55-4 Paperback
ISBN: 978-1-877579-54-7 Hardback
255 x 210mm
Merry Christmas everyone! This will be my last post of the year, going out with the most excellent book 100 People by Masayuki Sebe.
Published by Gecko Press, Oct 2013
ISBN: 978-1-877579-86-8 (Hardback)
ISBN: 978-1-877579-87-5 (Paperback with flaps)
Ages 4+ 300x245mm 24 pages
I wish you all a wonderful, safe and happy Christmas season. See you in the new year!
The collection consists of two parts. The Spring collection is primarily based on the colours of the Dutch national flag: red, white and blue. In the Summer collection the palette has been expanded with the addition of exuberant colours, such as bright pink, yellow and green.
There is much more to see in this lively collection, so pop over to Oilily Shop USA for a closer look. It is a particularly easy site to navigate, with excellent imagery that very quickly conveys the essence and mood of the new collection. Be inspired! I am.
...Or is it?
Published March 2014
218 x 195mm
ISBN: 978-1-877579-88-2 (Paperback)
ISBN: 978-1-877579-66-0 (Hardback)
About the Author and IllustratorLena Landstrom was born in Sweden in 1943. Illustrator Olaf Landstrom was born in Finland in 1943.
Lena and Olaf are husband and wife, and have collaborated on many children's books. They live in Stockholm, Sweden.
Thank you to all my readers; thanks to everyone who has taken the time to comment or to send me kind emails expressing your enjoyment of Kitty as a Picture; and a huge thanks to all the wonderful artists, designers and publishers who gave me permission to share their incredible designs, illustrations and publications.
To finish I'd like to share a little of my work. If you like it, please join me over at Bren Michelle.